Re: Etsy graphing using StatsD and Graphite

On Wednesday 06 July 2011 03:11:28 Martin Pool wrote:
> On 5 July 2011 19:30, Martin Pool <mbp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think I (or anyone) can easily change txstatsd to run the tuolumne
> > loader as a pipe subprocess. Aside from anything else, statsd gives the
> > apps nice isolation from the back end. We could even use two or more at
> > once.
>
> ... I meant, two or more backends.  For instance statsd could send
> something to a lossy/summarizing rrd-like tool that is suited to
> drawing real time graphs, and also to a lossless warehouse that will
> record everything for ever, and also to a plain-text log file for
> ad-hoc analysis through custom scripts.  I don't know if we'd actually
> want to deploy that but it's a neat idea.

This stuff is all new to me but I really liked your demo last week.

Gavin and I were talking earlier about how to set up graphing for Rabbit,
since our tuolumne approach of "write a huge query on the database" won't work
for figuring out queue lengths and other Rabbity stats.

Apologies if I missed it earlier in the thread, but how do you think we could
do that with current or future tools?

Cheers.