Re: Hiding or disabling non-available actions

On 21/10/11 05:07, Francis J. Lacoste wrote:
Hi Curtis,

Thanks for the clarification. In other words: it doesn't matter that we
are adding to the confusion, because the whole area is already very
confusing, and we want to fix the whole confusion in the future by
redoing the whole workflow.

I'm still interested in Huw's opinion on the general principle though.

The general rule is one of context.

A controls should be disabled if:
- There is a way to enable the control (usually from the current page). E.g. the zoom in button on a map becomes disabled when the user has zoomed in fully. To enable the button the user first has to zoom out. - The control is temporarily unavailable (e.g. an action is being completed).

A control should be hidden if:
- It is never available to the user in this context (the user can not do anything to enable it).

If the control is hidden it should be clear why things might be different in the current context (e.g. a forum thread is in "locked" mode). This can sometimes be supplemented with in-place messages where the hidden controls were, explaining their disappearance (e.g. on a blog post and comment form might be replaced with a message that says "Comments are disabled after 30 days"). These messages should be used sparingly and only if their disappearance is ambiguous (e.g. if a user can't edit items in a list there probably shouldn't be a notice where every edit button was).

Does that help?

Cheers