Re: Bug list ordering

On Nov 15, 2011, at 02:49 PM, Huw Wilkins wrote:

>At the moment we display the top 10 hottest bugs. There is no pagination or
>ordering controls. What do we gain by showing this listing? I'm not sure we
>gain that much. We get a small snapshot of bug activity, we don't overload
>the user with too many bugs that the user might not care about. Do we gain
>anything else?

Honestly, I've never really liked this page, for some of the reasons
identified at the UDS-P sessions, but also because the summary never shows me
what I want to see.  It's just a click-waystation on to the +bugs search page.

The biggest problem with bugs *in general* is that I find it difficult and
time consuming to find the bugs I care about.  I've talked about this many
times with LP developers, so I think it's a fairly well mined problem.  But
one of the things I use a lot is bug tags, except that it's kind of a pain to
use the tag cloud on the right to narrow down what you care about.  So having
a tag filter in the big listing of results might be useful.

My general feeling about Launchpad bugs is that once you find the one you want
to work on, workflow is generally very good, and I include in this patch,
branch, and merge proposal management.   What needs work is tools to help us
find the needle in the haystack, and help communicating those bugs that are on
our radar to others, including management, users, and other developers.

Cheers,
-Barry