Re: Bug list ordering

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The biggest problem with bugs *in general* is that I find it difficult and
> time consuming to find the bugs I care about.  I've talked about this many
> times with LP developers, so I think it's a fairly well mined problem.  But
> one of the things I use a lot is bug tags, except that it's kind of a pain to
> use the tag cloud on the right to narrow down what you care about.  So having
> a tag filter in the big listing of results might be useful.

While we won't have a filter in this new feature, we will at least
allow you to display tags for each task in the list.  So a step in the
right direction, even if it's not yet filterable.

> My general feeling about Launchpad bugs is that once you find the one you want
> to work on, workflow is generally very good, and I include in this patch,
> branch, and merge proposal management.   What needs work is tools to help us
> find the needle in the haystack, and help communicating those bugs that are on
> our radar to others, including management, users, and other developers.

I think dashboards and activity walls are a step in the right
direction for this problem, but this is a hard problem to solve and
unique to Ubuntu and Launchpad.  Nothing else that I know of has to
track the number of bugs for the number of interested parties as does
Launchpad and Ubuntu.

I know you know this, but I mention it for the sake of lurkers here. :)

Many people have ideas about solving this, and individual ideas are
often good on their own.  It's putting them together that's the hard
part.  Heat is a good example of this.  It's a great idea and it works
well for one set of LP and Ubuntu users.  It's horrible, a huge pain,
or even completely mysterious for any number of other users.

Cheers,
deryck

--
Deryck Hodge