Re: ec2 instance types for 'ec2 test'

On 18 November 2011 16:42, Jeroen Vermeulen <jtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2011-11-18 11:32, Martin Pool wrote:
>
>>  * adds a --region parameter - the image must come from the same region
>>  * default machine type is m2.xlarge which turned out to be both
>> cheaper and faster
>>  * filesystem tweaks to do less io
>>  * more robust handling of various errors
>
> Thank you!
>
> I'm curious about the --region parameter, which could save me a lot of time.
>  Does this mean that we need to know which region the latest image was
> uploaded to, or will we have the same image in multiple regions, or will we
> still effectively be tied to one region that all our images currently go to?

I think we will need to put a copy of the image in every region where
we want to run things.  There will be a probably pretty small cost for
storing it.  We could probably get away with only Singapore and
Virginia.

My original motivation was actually that us-east-1 was having trouble.

I have tested making a new (private) ami is ap-southeast-1 and then
booting it there.  It is about 100ms closer than the US (I'm surprised
it's not more.)  It is distinctly faster for interactive use.