mhonarc archive latency - lets order list archives in ascending rather than descending date (for now)

So, we have a UI choice in lists.launchpad.net which is to show the
list of messages with newest first.

This is nice to use, but performs poorly. We have a medium/long term
fix of moving to an SOA, but right now this causes massive latency -
its a quadratic algorithm as each message received rewrites the entire
archive for that list for the current time period.

If we move to an append mode - oldest first - then AIUI only the most
recent batch is rewritten, which is bounded by count-per-batch rather
than count-per-month (which is the one that currently crucifies us).

I propose that the UI impact of messages appearing very slowly is
worse than the UI impact of messages being in oldest-first order.

WDYT ?

-Rob

Follow ups