Re: Fast downtime alert, question, and concern

On 11-12-22 01:29 PM, Gary Poster wrote:
> Alert:
>
> The yellow squad has a db branch that needs to be landed asap when we
> return (r11239 of db-stable).  We are accumulating branches that depend
> on the new table it creates.  We'll be really eager to get this deployed
> once we return in January (or sooner if that's possible).
>
> Question:
>
> According to
> https://wiki.canonical.com/Launchpad/PolicyandProcess/ProductionChange
> we have a daily 0830Z window for landing patches.  My impression is that
> we have been landing patches weekly, not daily.  Is that a mistaken
> impression, or something specific to the pre-holiday season, or an
> indication of mistaken documentation?
>
> Concern:
>
> If we deploy patches weekly, fast downtime is slow and costly for the
> scenario of branches that rely on new tables.  We have to sit on them
> until the table lands.  If we actually have daily deployment windows,
> never mind: that should alleviate my concern.

We do have the potential to land daily. We are deploying more on a
weekly basis, simply because we don't have that many DB patches to land
lately. But there is no constraint around that. We have done FDT twice
in some weeks (because there was demand for it).

In theory, we could have rolled-out your DB patch today or tomorrow
morning. In practice, webops prefer to have either Rob or Stub around
during these in case anything goes wrong. Up to now, it never did, but
this is a safety net that is easy to honor except during this week
because Rob and Stub are on holidays. Some webops are also on holidays.

Cheers

--
Francis J. Lacoste
francis.lacoste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx