Re: New Lucid postgresql-common package in Launchpad PPA is broken (?)

On 01/31/12 16:31, Stuart Bishop wrote:
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:52 AM, Gary Poster<gary.poster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hi Stuart.  We were working today on our parallel testing project and ran
into a problem that postgresql-common was not installing in Lucid, when it
had been doing fine just last week.  It turned out that this only happened
with the new package you uploaded to the Launchpad PPA. When we specified
the standard Lucid version, it was fine.

This was copied directly from pitti's backports
(https://launchpad.net/~pitti/+archive/postgresql). I have tested it
under Lucid, and it installed fine for me. 'cannot be authenticated'
means you don't have the signing key installed? I would have thought
it would get resigned with the Launchpad PPA key when I copied it into
the Launchpad PPA...

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the authentication. The diversion issue is the problematic one. wgrant is investigating this though (and has fixed the precise issue I reported separately!) Interestingly, he duped this diversion issue on Precise also.

Thanks

Gary

I'm not sure what is going on. If you need to delete it, it only
affects me at the moment and I can easily recover by copying it back
from pitti's PPA.

It fails like this:

root@lptests:~# apt-get install postgresql-common
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  postgresql-common
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/135kB of archives.
After this operation, 573kB of additional disk space will be used.
WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
  postgresql-common
Install these packages without verification [y/N]? Y
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package postgresql-common.
(Reading database ... 35183 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking postgresql-common (from .../postgresql-common_128~lucid_all.deb)
Adding `diversion of /usr/bin/pg_config to /usr/bin/pg_config.libpq-dev by
postgresql-common'
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
  failed to fstat previous diversions file: No such file or directory

That's the one from the PPA:

root@lptests:~# apt-cache madison postgresql-common
postgresql-common |  128~lucid |
http://ppa.launchpad.net/launchpad/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages
postgresql-common | 106ubuntu1 | http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
lucid-updates/main Packages
postgresql-common |        106 | http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
lucid/main Packages

When we installed the one from Lucid, everything was fine:

apt-get install postgresql-common=106ubuntu1

Could you check into what is going on here, and fix it, or remove the
package, or give us a longer term solution than the workaround we use above?
  It looks like the problem might be trivial for a packager who understands
diversions.  We don't right now.

Thank you

Gary

Follow ups