Re: Plan to migrate Blueprint work items from whiteboards

On 07/02/12 16:09, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Guilherme Salgado
> <salgado@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I think that would be fine; I'll try to confirm today or tomorrow and
>>> will let you know.
>>
>> Just confirmed and Linaro is fine with us doing some extra work in LP to
>> offset the maintenance costs added by the work-item changes. Would
>> something like what I described below be fine?  Or maybe Robert can
>> suggest something? :)
>
> Great! We're still finding our feet on exactly how to hang things
> together. It looks like a likely first experiment is just lines of
> code: get a net negative to offset the new schema patch, api code etc,
> and you'd be meeting the current thoughts we have. I think that this
> is the simplest approach.

I think that's going to be challenging. My gut reaction would be to look for

 1. Code that's no longer used and can be removed
 2. Duplicated code which could be moved to a common base
 3. Code that could be written in a simpler way

Now, just searching for this kind of stuff takes some time, and there
probably aren't many occurrences of 1 left, so I'd probably focus on 2
and 3, which certainly abound, although there's no guarantee that I'll
have a net negative until after the refactor/rewrite is done. That means
I may end up spending a day on something just to realize it'll have a
net negative of a dozen lines or so. That is certainly an improvement to
Launchpad, but to me (Linaro, in fact) it's mostly wasted effort as it
didn't take us significantly closer to our goal.

But maybe the situation is not as bad (depending on your perspective) as
I'm painting and there are plenty of stuff we could do that would give
us a clear net negative in the diff. If that's the case, we'd love some
suggestions. :)

> And yes, removing a custom view that doesn't work in favour of one
> that does seems like a great step forward.

Is there a process we should follow to remove a page?  I suppose we
should at least discuss that in a separate thread?

Guilherme Salgado <https://launchpad.net/~salgado>