Re: imperatives in bugs considered harmful - even for short lived workitems

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Julian Edwards
<julian.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Friday 13 April 2012 09:26:02 Martin Pool wrote:
>> I agree.  I think the important thing is that the bug clearly describe
>> a testable assertion about the system and, if it's not obvious, the
>> reason why the reporter thinks this is bad.
>>
>> For instance, scanning the criticals, 341927 "launchpad needs bounce
>> handling of email" is perfectly clear and concise, and the description
>> removes any doubt.  "Launchpad doesn't disable sending mail to
>> destinations that bounce" wouldn't help anybody.
>
> The key to this particular one being a successful bug report is that the
> description describes *why* something is problem.  Where I get irritated with
> bug reports is where they say something "should" happen but fail to explain
> anything about why or give me any background.
>
> I still think the title should summarise the problem though, it *really* helps
> when scanning bug listings where I don't see the description.

And in fact that title is horrible. So is the inverted passive one
Martin suggests :).

I'm changing it now to 'Launchpad discards email non-delivery reports'
which describes the problem, is clear (to folk that understand SMTP
and the related tech) where the problem lies (vs 'needs bounce
handling' which could mean pretty much anything).

-Rob