Re: Appointing the Launchpad Arabic Translators team

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:59:16AM +0100, David Planella wrote:
> El dj 11 de 11 de 2010 a les 12:06 +0200, en/na Khaled Hosny va
> escriure:
> > We already have active Ubuntu translation team:
> > https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-ar
> >
> > Can't we just use that?
> >

> Hi Khaled,
>
> A few cycles back we created the Launchpad Translators translation
> group, so that developers could assign the translation of their project
> to a trusted set of experienced translators, in the same way we do in
> Ubuntu with the Ubuntu Translators group.
>
> Launchpad hosts many projects which, while Open Source, are not related
> in any way with Ubuntu. The Launchpad Translators translation group was
> created with the intention to have a clear separation between the
> translation of Ubuntu and that of other projects.

I can see the benefit of having clear separation, however we don't seem
to have enough man power to manage two teams, so I was suggesting the
existing team to manage the two translation projects.

> However, if you wish, you can still get separation between hosted
> projects and Ubuntu, but allow an existing team of Ubuntu translators to
> work on both (if they wish so) by creating a lp-l10n-CC team and adding
> the ubuntu-l10n-CC team as a subteam to it. The Ubuntu translators will
> then be able to contribute, and those who only want to translate
> applications in Launchpad but not Ubuntu, can be added directly as a
> members of the lp-l10n-CC team. That's what some existing teams already
> do.

That is fine with me.

> In order to ensure quality and responsiveness from translations teams,
> we've got a defined procedure to appoint teams for translation.
>
> There we make sure that there is a minimum set of requirements to start
> a healthy translation team community, while trying not to make the
> process too bureaucratic. We ask teams to:
>
>       * Have translation guidelines
>       * Have meaningful information on how to contribute in their
>         Launchpad page
>       * Have a communication channel for coordination purposes
>       * Have a moderated team subscription policy
>
> Apart from the guidelines, it should not take more than a few minutes to
> follow this process:
>
> https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/LaunchpadTranslators#StartingTeam
>
> You'll also find more general information on the Launchpad Translators
> translation group in the other sections of the above wiki page.
>
> I see you already created an Arabic Launchpad Translators team some time
> ago, so that's a good start already:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~lp-l10n-ar

Last year I created that project with the intention to manage Launchpad
translation through it, but I did not go further due to lack of
interested translators.

> There have been many people interested in translating Launchpad
> applications in Arabic in the last months, so I'd recommend talking to
> them and see how you guys can work together to have a single Arabic
> translations team and then follow the process to get it appointed in the
> Launchpad Translators group.

I see people who express some interest in translation every now and
then, however once the real work starts they all disappear, they want to
just dump some translations and go away; no one wants to read
guidelines, to listen to reviews or even perform automatic spell
checking! However, any one interested can contact me directly, or join
ubuntu-l10n-ara mailing list or Arabeyes mailing list and we can discuss
the activation of Launchpad Arabic translation team.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny