Re: Upstream access to Ubuntu package bugs

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 08:03:10PM +1200, Matthew Thomas wrote:
> >>    - We could offer a per-package official bug contact, which would
> >>      still be official Ubuntu QA, but only for a specific package.
> >
> >I was going to suggest something like this. Tom is currently working on
> >'structual subscriptions', which will allow you to subscribe to
> >different objects, for example projects and packages. When that is
> >done, we can convert the existing package bug contacts to
> >subscriptions, and then we can use package bug contacts to give
> >permission for working on bugs for a specific package.
>
> If anyone will be able to subscribe to a package

Well, currently, anyone can subscribe to a package.

> , how would that be useful for granting permissions?

We'd still have a bug contact slot for permissions. I realize the name
would be inappropriate then -- do you have a suggestion?

> I don't think there's a connection between subscriptions and
> permissions (except that watching the former may eventually give
> maintainers an idea of who deserves the latter). Someone may have good
> reasons for being able to alter bug reports on a particular package
> while not being subscribed, and conversely someone may have good
> reasons for being subscribed to a package while not having permissions
> to alter its bugs.

I agree -- it's important to have the two different mechanisms, and
having them be separate makes general sense (though I think that in
general if you are responsible for a package's decisions you are not
doing a good job if you don't know what bugs are being filed against
it.)
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125