Re: PPA TOS and license requirements

So https://help.launchpad.net/PPATermsofUse  now says that:

> You understand and agree that any content you upload to PPAs must be
> freely redistributable by Canonical, and licensed under a licenses
> permitting redistribution free of charge. Acceptable licenses
> include licenses approved by:
>    * OSI
>    * FSF
>    * DFSG
>    * CC

Is the intent to allow use of Creative Commons licenses like
"Attribution Non-commercial No Derivatives (by-nc-nd)"?

 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

I didn't think folks were arguing for support of _all_ CC licenses,
and I saw this comment in the discussion, which I agree with:

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 02:02:20PM +0100, Caroline Ford wrote:
> Not allowing Creative Commons BY-SA seems really backwards. I'd
> certainly not allow -NC or -ND as they are non free.

Furthermore note that there are CC licenses which would actually
prohibit Canonical from redistributing, like the Developing Nations
one:

 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/devnations/2.0/

It is "retired" now, but I think the PPA ToS should be very specific
in which CC licenses are allowed, and choose them so that folks who
upload or download from PPAs aren't surprised or put in difficult
positions.

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/