Re: my 2 cents to PPA evaluation.

On 10/10/07, Christian Robottom Reis <kiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> > 2) a support for other distributions than Release (actually I'm mostly interested in backports, especially dapper-backports, as it is bit too out-dated to my needs)
>
> Well, there may be some confusion here. You can upload packages based on
> a package in any of the Ubuntu "pockets" (updates, backports, security).
> Your own PPA only publishes to an ubuntu/ directory, but that shouldn't
> be a problem.
>
> Can you explain exactly what it is you are trying to do that you can't
> do?

He means that PPA packages are built with dependencies coming only
from 'release' pocket.

We can solve this problem in two different ways:

 1. Enable uploads to post-release pockets in PPA. They would use the
respective (and maintained) ubuntu chroots and get build-deps
according the target pocket.

 2. Wait for 'archive_purpose-specific-chroots' implementation, when
we will be able to customize the 'release' chroot for PPA to grab
build-deps from post-release pockets.

The former would represent more complexity to the PPA-owners, in the
sense they will have to coordinate uploads across pockets, and no
extra work for ubuntu-admins.

The latter solution is exactly the opposite, PPA-owners won't notice
any drawback in their workflow and would get post-release build-deps
for free, but ubuntu-admins will have to maintain a parallel chroot
for PPAs.

Another major side-effect of the second solution is that PPA users
(clients) will have to enable all post-release pockets in their
systems in other to install possible binary-dependencies required in
PPA packages.

It's a complicated decision.

[]
--