Re: PPA Build Error/Tilde In Version

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 21:42 +0000, Will Daniels wrote:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> Sorry, I don't think I've made my question very clear (should probably
> have started a new thread) - I understand the naming system now, but
> what I'm not sure about is this:
>
> I uploaded a source package monodevelop_0.18.1+dfsg-1 (which I took
> from Debian upstream) which has a build dependency
> libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil (>= 0.3).  The current version of
> libmono-addins-gui0.2-cilin Hardy is 0.3~svn.r90520-1, which I soon
> discovered is actually < 0.3 so the build failed.  What I want to know
> is, if I upload an updated source package to my PPA for
> libmono-addins-gui0.2-cil so that the version is >= 0.3, will I then
> be able to build my monodevelop package, or will the build system only
> be able to use the lower version from the main repositories?

Will,

yes, that works. The other alternative is to edit debian/control and
relax the version requirements for your package, say from >=0.3 to >=0.2
That would allow linking against the library already present in the
distro repositories. If you know the later version adds bug fixes or new
functionality, it would be preferable to upload that new version to your
ppa before attempting to compile the other package.

Cheers,
Alejo