Re: KDE set up for translation into Kurdish, but not synchronized?

Hi Erdal,

Today at 17:42, Erdal Ronahi wrote:

> Ok, that's logical. However, the situation is not satisfying as it is.
> Launchpad produces bugs by importing Korean (ko) and Japanese (ja)
> translations into Kurdish (ku), because they are pre- and successors
> in the alphabetical order.

How did you come to this conclusion?  Any broken imports we have seen
have been because translations in KDE have been broken when they were
released as a tarball and later imported.

The problem is that Launchpad doesn't allow deactivating translations
by deleting a file or using empty messages from the import (to keep
any translations that were 'known good' at least at some point), so we
have to manually fix those translations in LP.

If you know of any other cases like that, please report them.

However, if you still believe the problem is in Launchpad, I'd be glad
to look into it, though this is really a remote possibility (to check,
look at the source package tarballs which have been uploaded before,
and see if there was any ku.po uploaded with Japanese content in it).

> On the other hand, all the translation work
> that we are doing upstream now on KDE 4 (and partially KDE 3) cannot
> be reflected in Ubuntu because it is not yet in the tarball (and won't
> be until 4.1 at least).

Well, that wouldn't make much sense anyway: Ubuntu currently ships KDE
3, so translations wouldn't match.  As far as anything else is
concerned, you'd have to discuss that with Ubuntu KDE packagers.

(Note that we do want to allow easy sync between upstream SVNs and
Launchpad, but there are many things to it)

> That makes me ask the question again how the KDE 4 translations will
> be handled in Launchpad. If there will be translatable templates, we
> may import manually our translations from upstream. Are there any
> plans for that?

We made no special consideration for that, so I'd have to talk to
Ubuntu KDE guys to see if there's anything special KDE 4 is doing (in
Ubuntu in particular).

Cheers,
Danilo