Re: Requiring full name to join ~launchpad-beta-testers (was: Re: [Fwd: hggdh2 deactivated by matthew.revell])

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 1:21 PM, HggdH <hggdh2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 12:31 +0000, Matthew Revell wrote:
>
> > >  And could someone please explain why is this needed? I can't really understand
> > >  why, as someone will just write a false name, and that's IMHO worse than having
> > >  a nick.
> >
> > We ask people to use their real names as a matter of trust. If someone
> > chooses to provide a false name, it's a shame that they'd break that
> > trust but we generally expect that people will prefer to be honest.
> >

> Matthew, this is exactly my point: if you trust someone to provide the
> real name (but (can|elect) not to  check it), then there is no real need
> to ask for a real name. I prefer to be honest also -- and this forced me
> to withdraw.
>
> But there is only one hggdh, and my GPG key is stored by LP, and I
> signed the CoC. Personally I consider signing the CoC much more
> important to the Ubuntu community than providing a (real or otherwise)
> name.
>
> And I have not started yesterday helping Ubuntu. I have a history behind
> me, although not as long as a lot of other people here. This should also
> be enough for Canonical to trust me.

I sympathise with your problem and agree with your position. However,
I have the feeling from your email that you are eliding Canonical with
Ubuntu a little too closely - I hope that the inability to participate
in the Launchpad beta tester program has not affected your
participation in Ubuntu.

Don't forget that while funded by the same company, Launchpad is a
separate project to Ubuntu and does not have common decision making
processes. If a Launchpad policy begins to affect Ubuntu as a project,
then of course the two projects will get together and discuss those
issues, but it seems to me that this particular issue only affects
participation in the Launchpad project. It's not something that the
Ubuntu project has a say in.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org