Re: PPA for other package type

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 2:14 AM, A. Klitzing <aklitzing@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>  I use PPA for DEBs since the beginning of it and I like this service.
>  I switched some computers of me to the distribution Arch Linux [1] and
>  I ported pbuilder (and some other package tools) to Arch to build some
>  local DEBs without a real debian/ubuntu installation.
>  So I can test packages before I upload it to PPA. ;-)
>
>  But I miss some services like PPA for Arch itself (of course... they
>  don't have enough resources to provide this).
>  I wanted to ask if launchpad/soyuz could support other formats than
>  DEBs.
>  There is already a build daemon for Arch packages called pacbuild [2].
>  The packages of Arch are really simple [3] and easy to build.
>  They only have one script that will be started and installs into a
>  fakeroot path $startdir/pkg [4].
>  A repository is also simple [5] and is created/refreshed with only one
>  command.
>
>  Is their any chance to have a support for those packages/repositorys in
>  PPA?
>  I'm available for questions and to talk with Arch developers. :-)

Hi there,

Nice that you are using PPAs and you like it :)

About other packaging-systems, unfortunately, I have to say that we
don't have plans to support anything else than DEB in the short-term,
mainly because Soyuz team is fully-booked for a long (very long) time.

There were previous requests for RPM and EMERGE support and while we
don't plan to work on this any time soon, it will be kept in our
radar.

Thanks for the references, I will have a look soon so we can talk more
on IRC if you want.

Cheers.
--
Celso Providelo <celso.providelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>