Re: Copy packages to same PPA, different distro

>  > Hardy, but Hardy also provides libfoo2. The source package may not
>  > care (it requires either libfoo1 | libfoo2). But the Gutsy .deb cannot
>  > depend on libfoo2 (only libfoo1 is available on Gutsy), while the
>  > Hardy .deb can. So two .deb's would be very beneficial.
>
> "Build-depends: libfoo1-dev | libfoo2-dev"  would work just fine and
>  libfoo2 should be a shared-lib and replace libfoo1 automatically in
>  hardy. I can't clearly see the benefit of having bin-NMUs, specially
>  compared with all the confusion it might cause.

That's exactly what I'm doing in the source package: "Build-depends:
libfoo1-dev | libfoo2-dev". But Build-Depends alternatives in the
source package DO NOT translate into Depends: alternatives in the
binary package. Correct?

For examples, if the package that Build-Depend's on "libfoo1 |
libfoo2" is only built on Gutsy, the resulting .deb will depend on
libfoo1 (not on libfoo1 | libfoo2). When installing such a .deb on
Hardy, it will not be able to take advantage libfoo2's existence.

This was the whole point and the main reason I want different .deb's
-- maybe I should have explained in more detail from the beginning.

-- Dan