Re: BSD licence

On Tuesday 01 July 2008 17:29:58 Danilo Šegan wrote:
[snip]
> > I think they negatively affect also the Ubuntu translations made in
> > Launchpad, because who spends some time and energy for providing a
> > quality translation if someone can later distribute this one in a closed
> > way and
> > under his own license? The BSD licence can encourage the behaviour of
> > profiting from the others' work without costs.
>

> https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/LicensingFAQ#Does%20that%20mean%20m
>y%20translations%20may%20be%20used%20in%20proprietary%20software?
>
> So, while we do understand there are some risks, we feel they are very
> low.  And we are not alone in that, FSF feels the same way (judging by
> their actions):
>
>   http://translationproject.org/html/whydisclaim.html
>
> As you can see there, many GPL projects which otherwise require strict
> copyright assignment in paper, require copyright _disclaimers_ when it
> comes to translations ("disclaiming a copyright" means that you are
> giving your work out into public domain; this is even "worse" than
> what BSD license does: BSD license allows you to still keep at least
> some rights, and in some countries, you can even revoke it if your
> "moral" rights have been violated).

In my opinion, it's just the opposite, BSD is worse than the FSF disclaimer.

http://translationproject.org/disclaim.txt
"I disclaim all
copyright interest in my works, which consist of translation of
portions of free software programs from one human language to another
human language, that I have provided to the Foundation or that I will
provide in the future.  The programs to which this applies include all
programs for which the Foundation is the copyright holder, and all
other freely redistributable software programs."

As far as I can understand it, the last sentence gives me the guarantee that
my translations can not be used in proprietary software. There's nothing about
"public domain" in this disclaimer.

--
Bruno