Re: BSD licence

Bruno Patri wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 July 2008 17:29:58 Danilo Šegan wrote:
> >
> >   http://translationproject.org/html/whydisclaim.html
> >
> > As you can see there, many GPL projects which otherwise require
> > strict copyright assignment in paper, require copyright
> > _disclaimers_ when it comes to translations ("disclaiming a
> > copyright" means that you are giving your work out into public
> > domain;

In essence that is correct: PO files in GNU packages can be
considered to have been put in the public domain.

> In my opinion, it's just the opposite, BSD is worse than the FSF
> disclaimer.

Sorry, not so.

> http://translationproject.org/disclaim.txt
> "I disclaim all
> copyright interest in my works, which consist of translation of
> portions of free software programs from one human language to
> another human language, that I have provided to the Foundation or
> that I will provide in the future.  The programs to which this
> applies include all programs for which the Foundation is the
> copyright holder, and all other freely redistributable software
> programs."
>
> As far as I can understand it, the last sentence gives me the
> guarantee that my translations can not be used in proprietary
> software.

Untrue.  They can.  They can be freely copied, by anyone, for any
purpose.  The last sentence just means that the disclaimer isn't
only valid for translations made for GNU programs, but also for
those made for other free software.

> There's nothing about "public domain" in this disclaimer.

It doesn't say so literally, but that is what this "I disclaim all
copyright interest in my [translations]" amounts to.

Also see the second paragraph of
http://translationproject.org/html/whydisclaim.html:

"""Some translators misread the translation disclaimer as an
assignment of their translations to the FSF. This is not the case.
The disclaimer merely says that the signer will never make use of
the copyright on his or her translations: will never forbid copying
them, and will never ask for some kind of compensation. This
guarantees that the FSF (and everyone else) will always be allowed
to freely distribute these translations."""

Benno