Re: BSD licence

Danilo Šegan wrote:
> On Tuesday at 18:53, Bruno Patri wrote:
> > http://translationproject.org/disclaim.txt
> > "I disclaim all copyright interest in my works, which consist of
> > translation of portions of free software programs from one human
> > language to another human language,
>
> This ("I disclaim...") means that you are putting your
> translations in public domain.

Taken by itself it would, but it is preceded by "I [...] do hereby
acknowledge to the Free Software Foundation".  The disclaimer says
this only to the FSF.  No maker of a proprietary program can show
in court a signed document that says I have disclaimed the interest
in my copyright on the strings found in their hypothetical program.

So it would be good to adjust the fourth item in the licensing FAQ a
little: https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/LicensingFAQ --
maybe "Why no signed disclaimers like for FSF programs?"  And then
say that it is too much hassle to get and keep a signed document
from every contributor?

Please notice that it is not the Translation Project that asks for a
disclaimer, but the FSF, for all the programs that it owns.  At the
TP there are many packages (about 90 of the 150) that don't require
a disclaimer.

Also notice that translators disclaim the _interest in their
copyright, not the copyright itself.  So they get to keep that.
To lawyers this appears to make a difference.

Benno