Re: [Launchpad-users] Translations branch keeps having status set to 'Merged'

"Michael B. Trausch" <mbt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I have recently setup the AllTray project to use Launchpad's
> Translations functionality after having spent some time working with
> AllTray to add support for gettext and so forth.  Translations says
> that it will get updated templates and the like from the bzr branch,
> and then commit changes made in the Launchpad UI back to another
> branch.  I have this set up at the moment; the branch I told it to use
> was just a branch of lp:alltray -- specifically, the
> lp:~mtrausch/alltray/launchpad-translations branch.
>
> The only thing is that the translations branch keeps being
> automatically marked as Merged by Launchpad.  It's not merged, so why
> does it do that?  It's never been merged into trunk, and I have set it
> to Development explicitly because I want it to stay in the active
> list.
>
> What I am wondering is, is there a way to prevent Launchpad from doing
> this for a branch that needs to stay in a single state?  Or can there
> be introduced a non-descript "Active" state that Launchpad won't
> automatically change for any reason whatsoever?

I'm not an expert in the Translations feature, but this mail describes
an automatic-merge feature in Translations:

  https://lists.launchpad.net/launchpad-users/msg05154.html

Below is the relevant excerpt from that mail.  But I'm not sure it's
related to what you're experiencing.  According to the blurb (which I
got from a developer), the feature sounds like something one would have
to set up explicitly -- yet what you're experiencing is something that
apparently happens by default and that you'd like to turn off!  Also, if
you didn't set up a destination branch, then how could the feature below
be activated at all?

So what's below may be completely useless to you.  On the other hand, my
replying with the wrong answer might outrage someone else enough to post
with the right answer, so this is still a constructive move :-).

Automatic merge of project translations to a Bazaar branch

Launchpad can now commit regular snapshots of your project's
translations to a Bazaar branch of your choice.  No more waiting for the
email with the URL!  The latest snapshot will always be waiting in the
same place for you to download it.  We're doing daily snapshots at
first, though we may change that later depending on usage.

Here's what you do:

You create a branch in Launchpad, of the "Hosted" variety.  That means
that the branch lives on Launchpad itself; it can't be mirrored from
somewhere else.  (You may need to "bzr init" and "bzr push" an empty
directory from your local machine to get the branch properly set up.)

Then go to the Translations tab for your project.  Go to the release
series that you want snapshots of, e.g., trunk.

On the Translations tab for that release series you'll see an option,
"Settings."  There, at the bottom, you'll be able to set a translations
export branch.  Pick any branch that you own; it doesn't have to be
related to the project.

A word of caution: whatever branch you pick here, Launchpad is going to
commit files to it.  It will ruthlessly overwrite any previous versions
of the files.  So you probably don't want to use your development branch
for this, or any other branch that you use for other things.  We
recommend that you create an fresh branch, and don't use it for anything
else but getting translation snapshots of a single release series.

-Karl