Re: [Launchpad-users] Translations branch keeps having status set to 'Merged'

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Karl Fogel wrote:

"Michael B. Trausch" <mbt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I have recently setup the AllTray project to use Launchpad's
Translations functionality after having spent some time working with
AllTray to add support for gettext and so forth.  Translations says
that it will get updated templates and the like from the bzr branch,
and then commit changes made in the Launchpad UI back to another
branch.  I have this set up at the moment; the branch I told it to use
was just a branch of lp:alltray -- specifically, the
lp:~mtrausch/alltray/launchpad-translations branch.

The only thing is that the translations branch keeps being
automatically marked as Merged by Launchpad.  It's not merged, so why
does it do that?  It's never been merged into trunk, and I have set it
to Development explicitly because I want it to stay in the active
list.

What I am wondering is, is there a way to prevent Launchpad from doing
this for a branch that needs to stay in a single state?  Or can there
be introduced a non-descript "Active" state that Launchpad won't
automatically change for any reason whatsoever?

I'm not an expert in the Translations feature, but this mail describes
an automatic-merge feature in Translations:

 https://lists.launchpad.net/launchpad-users/msg05154.html

Below is the relevant excerpt from that mail.  But I'm not sure it's
related to what you're experiencing.  According to the blurb (which I
got from a developer), the feature sounds like something one would have
to set up explicitly -- yet what you're experiencing is something that
apparently happens by default and that you'd like to turn off!  Also, if
you didn't set up a destination branch, then how could the feature below
be activated at all?

Well, perhaps I was too vague. Having another issue with this, let me try to clarify it.

I have my trunk branch at lp:alltray. I branched this to lp:~mtrausch/alltray/launchpad-translations and told Launchpad Translations to commit to that branch (that doesn't quite work, though more on that later). Every time I commit to lp:alltray, Launchpad's code hosting thinks that my personal branch (~mtrausch/alltray/launchpad-translations) has been merged and marks its status as "merged" in code hosting. This is probably because trunk has the same history plus an addition, so it figures that the personal branch is useless. Once LP Translations commits translations, it comes back to "Development" status.

Now, that said, LP Translations committing is, in its present form, seemingly useless. I just got the first commit about 2 hours ago from LP Translations, and I am unable to merge it back into my mainline. This is in part due to the fact that the mainline was not merged back into the translations destination branch before LP Translations made its automatic commit. Oops. What would make that feature *really* useful would be to tell it "Merge lp:alltray into lp:~mtrausch/alltray/launchpad-translations just prior to committing". This would still have the possibility of raising a conflict if the merge of mainline and the preparation of the commit lag in any way between each other, but I suspect that should be solvable by:

 (a) branching the destination branch,
 (b) automatically merging the mainline branch,
 (c) committing the LP Translations changes,
 (d) merging the result back into the destination branch.

That would make the automatic commits *much* more useful.

Maybe for my use-case, I actually want LP Translations to commit to my trunk? I'm not sure. I don't know that I do.

	--- Mike