Re: [Launchpad-users] Translations branch keeps having status set to 'Merged'

Michael B. Trausch wrote:

I have my trunk branch at lp:alltray. I branched this to lp:~mtrausch/alltray/launchpad-translations and told Launchpad Translations to commit to that branch (that doesn't quite work, though more on that later). Every time I commit to lp:alltray, Launchpad's code hosting thinks that my personal branch (~mtrausch/alltray/launchpad-translations) has been merged and marks its status as "merged" in code hosting. This is probably because trunk has the same history plus an addition, so it figures that the personal branch is useless. Once LP Translations commits translations, it comes back to "Development" status.

We've talked this over on IRC.  There were two separate issues:

1. When you branch off another branch, apparently your new branch has its status set to "Merged."

This probably makes sense in the initial state where the two branches are identical; it basically says "this branch has no changes that you won't find in its parent." At any rate the state changed as soon as Launchpad committed a translations snapshot to it.

2. If you set up translation exports into a branch, and translation imports from another branch, merging the translations from the two branches can involve conflicts.

The way around this is to use the same branch for translation import and translation export. The export will not happen if there are pending changes on the branch, so the risk of export overwriting changes you make to translations in the branch before they're imported is fairly small.

Jeroen