Re: [Launchpad-users] how to recover /etc/shadow file from single usermode

From: "saikat" <saikat.80in@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 1:47 PM
To: "Launchpad Users" <launchpad-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Launchpad-users] how to recover /etc/shadow file from single usermode

Hi,

I have forgotten the root passwod in my system. I have installed ubuntu
9.04. The /etc/shadow file also been corrupted. Now please let me know
how I can recover the file from single user mode?

Ubuntu does not have a root user, but a root group. Any user that is on the root group is able to login as root (this means, having to use sudo or any other thrust level elevation tool/command.)

The only way I think you can restore your credentials is if you have another user on the machine at the root group, using it to change your main account password. Other way is making a image of a HDD with ubuntu on it on another machine, copying to your box, and then overwritting your HDD with the data, but just if you do not want to format it. But mind that I am not a Linux master, so perhaps there is a way I do not know about.

Also, you can try to launch an answer request at the ubuntu project.

https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-users

Thanks,
Saikat Saha
--
This message was sent from Launchpad by the user
saikat (https://launchpad.net/~saikat-80in)