Re: [Launchpad-users] how to recover /etc/shadow file from single usermode

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Álvaro García<alvar_sa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

That's not true. If there wasn't a root user, there would be nothing
to sudo to. All you need to be able to log in as root without using
sudo is to set the password for the root user.

Saikat, you can get a shell without having to enter the root password
by editing the grub config at boot time.
  1. At the grub screen, hit 'e' to edit the config.
  2. Use the arrow keys to move to the line that starts with "kernel".
  3. Hit 'e' to edit it.
  4. Append " init=/bin/bash" to the line.
  5. Hit Enter.
  6. Hit 'b' to boot.

-Edwin