Re: [Launchpad-users] Your top three wishes for Launchpad? (4.0 planning)

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 11:45 -0400, Karl Fogel wrote:
> With the 3.0 release coming up soon, we're beginning the 4.0 planning
> process.  To help with prioritization, we'd like to know your top 3
> wishes for Launchpad 4.0.  Please follow up in this thread, and...

I _really_ want the ability to say 'these are the mailing lists' and
'this is the wiki' for my projects, without having that just hyperlinked
in the description. Its real metadata, representable in DOAP, even if
launchpad can only host some of this. There is a bug of mine open thats
broadly about this, but seems to have been suborned into the new links
to the bug tracker etc.
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-registry/+bug/179561

Secondly, I would _love_ the ability to have docs of some sort visible
in my projects. I don't particularly care about vhosts or anything like
that. Markdown, or Sphinx. Or ReST - all good. There are cross site
attack implications here, so its likely we'd *need* vhosts, but thats a
different discussion. Currently there is no where that I can go to put
online browsable documentation such as HOWTO's and intros. Heck, even a
single page pulled from trunk, inline on the project homepage would be
wonderful. Equally a wiki would be great, it would allow this use case
and more : but a wiki is not intrinsically valuable in this way.
https://edge.launchpad.net/subunit is a good page to look at to see how
bland 'here is my <foo>' looks at the moment.

Thirdly, I'd love bugs to be more dynamic. This is a bit meta, but its
annoying that they don't have dependencies [I know that bugs aren't
blueprints - I don't want to turn bugs into blueprints, just to be able
to say 'bug X is blocked on bug Y'. This happens *even when the problem
is conceptually trivial*, and being unable to represent it in the bug
database makes working with those situations tricky.

Thirdly its a shame that there are only 5 buckets of importance for bugs
(its a spectrum really - give me any two bugs in a single project and I
can usually say 'X first', but the bug tracker can't do that for *other
people*.) I think Aaron Bentley talked about this first, and I think it
would totally rock.

(Yes, I know there are two Thirdly's there. Can't blame me for trying).

-Rob