Re: [Launchpad-users] Your thought wanted on Launchpad code imports

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 13:17 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
[...]
> * Have you ever used imported branches? Do you use this frequently?
I have never imported a branch on Launchpad but I tried importing a
branch from the CVS trunk to bzr at work a couple of years ago.  I had
bzr on my work Linux machine (running Ubuntu) and was able to import but
I didn't figure out how to merge my changes easily back from bzr into
the CVS trunk.

I am interested in importing some software from CVS, svn, or git
repositories that seem inactive on other hosting sites to jumpstart
development of some useful projects on Launchpad under bzr.  With the
recent advances in bzr import capability, I believe this could be a
valid option.

> * If you've used it in the past but no longer use it, why?
Although I am familiar with CVS, gaining familiarity with bzr, and
developing a growing preference for working in bzr, the barrier to
contributing from bzr back into CVS a couple of years ago looked rather
forbidding.

Hosting new development in Launchpad under bzr doesn't suffer this
problem.

> * When you use imports, what are you trying to accomplish?
Enable myself to develop software in the more enlightened and enjoyable
framework of the bzr version control system.  Make it easier to
collaborate on a project because of the support for distributed
development in bzr and the wonderful facilities for managing bugs, new
ideas (blueprints), more- and less-frequently asked questions (answers),
translations, code reviews, and releases in Launchpad.

> * Do you find the service reliable?  What problems do you encounter,
> and how often?
> * Did you ever ask for a new branch to be imported, and if so how did
> that work out?
> * If you encountered problems, did you ask for help or look at them
> documentation?  Where did you look, and did it solve your problem?
I looked at the bazaar-vcs.org wiki.  Still couldn't figure out how to
work in a bzr bayou on the edge of a CVS ocean.

> * Would improving imports help your use of Launchpad a lot, a bit, or
> not at all?  What areas or aspects would be most important to improve?
Probably the most important improvement I can think of would be more
transparent, natural tag support.  A number of projects I have worked on
used tags in CVS to label source releases.

> * Any other comments?
I have seen many wonderful improvements in capability, speed and
space-efficiency since I first got involved with the bzr project three
years ago.  Great job, ladies and gentlemen!

I look forward to learning more about Python, bzr, Launchpad, and
test-driven development as I expect to be able to contribute a few
things in the near future.

Richard
--
PGP public key at