Re: [Launchpad-users] Exporting translations of a package in main

On 2010-04-23 02:31, Francesco Fumanti wrote:

Am I correct when I think that the packages in main have their own
separated translation effort? Moreover, is it possible for a person not
being an Ubuntu translator to export them?

Yes and no, respectively. Packages in main have their upstream translations imported (whether from a project inside Launchpad or somewhere else on the internet), and then translators working in Launchpad can complement them with their own. Any logged-in user can enter suggestions. Members of the translation team for the language review the suggestions, and will hopefully also help contribute changes made in Launchpad back to upstream.

We've had to restrict the ability to download full translations for entire Ubuntu packages because of excessive load. Only admins, the Ubuntu drivers team, and the translation group owners can do that now.

However, as onboard also ships by default with Ubuntu, is there not a
separate effort provided by the Ubuntu translators with the aim to
translate the onboard package shipping with Ubuntu?

Yes, though it should be a complementary effort.

If so is there a way I can export the translations done by the Ubuntu
translators for onboard, to include them for example in the next bugfix
release of onboard?

We're working on ways to make this automatic. For now however, the restricted privileges on export are a problem. What you can do, if there are not too many languages, is request each PO file separately.

Jeroen