lightspark-users team mailing list archive

Re: Kickstarter funding

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Lightspark doesn't have a clear end goal besides "100% compatibility
> with Adobe", which isn't clear, and very open-ended.

Ah, I wasn't clear enough in my first email, sorry. My intention was to
have a project on Kickstarter that is a "subproject" of the overall
Lightspark endeavour. For example, "finish implementing these ActionScript
features: <finite list>" or "make it work well on these websites: <finite
list>". (The latter is more dangerous since the sites can change.)

> How much do we want to ask for? $6,000? What are we going to do with
> the funds? That pays a full-time programmer for one week.

Well, I was asking you how much to ask for. I think a possible use of funds
is to pay the current developers (at a much less than normal full-time
rate) so they can afford to spend more time working on it. Another option
is to entice other developers with small rewards for completing various
tasks.

> What is our promotional material? Are we going to give a fancy motion
> graphics video that shows off what Lightspark can do, and what it's
> designed to do?

Maybe. I think promotional material based on the ideals of free software
and the need for a Flash replacement would be more effective, and that
could just be a video of someone talking.

> I do not want Lightspark to become the next OnYun. [0]
>
> [0] http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1255175135/onyun-search-engine

Agreed. Although, what is the cost of a failed Kickstarter project?
Presumably Lightspark could still continue as always.