lp-l10n-fr-community team mailing list archive

Re: French translation

Hi,

Launchpad can display these just fine.
For example:
https://translations.launchpad.net/pybik/trunk/+pots/pybik/fr/+translate
(notice the "Located in" string at the bottom of each field)

Kind of. They still need to find the file and line number manually since
they are not URLs. For one string, this isn't a big deal, but where
there are hundreds, it can be a real pain. Moreover, that's not actual
machine readable metadata, but just a verbatim copy of a comment string
created by xgettext.

Indeed, but it's better than nothing :-)
And even if this is not machine readable, it can provide a bit of context by itself (for example if a string comes from a file named "credit.c" or settings.c"...)

So, what's the difference with the 2nd string, "Studio Software"?

I actually only see one string for "Studio Software". Maybe you could
show me what you mean?

I'm referring to [1] and [2].
I asked you about the meaning of "Studio Hardware" and you explained that this is basically a header for a software credit field. Which seems confusing to me, because I imagine this definition would rather fit the "Studio Software" string, wouldn't it?

Or maybe we had a misunderstanding and you were referring to "Studio Software" which probably means that "Studio Hardware" refers to hardware credit (so people who lend you specific hardware?)

You could, for example, provide a PPA so that translators could then
install the latest snapshot with the latest translations from launchpad
(and it could be updated automatically daily, as some other projects
do).
This way translators could easily test their translations without
having to know how to build the project.
Don't forget that most translators are not developers.

The problem here is that getting a suitable runtime environment for the
software is not as straightforward as what comes typically in a
prepackaged deb. This software runs off of optical media and needs about
14 GB of mission data to drive it in the way you'd need to do what you
are asking for.

Maybe I'm about to ask stupid questions, but here they are anyway:

If VLR is used to restore these data (are they freely available?), it's only useful once isn't it?
So, in this case, is it really necessary to localize it?
(will anyone want to use it once the restoration is over?)

There are indeed such translators, but not many :-)
As you probably understood now, my point is that you should do whatever
you can to lower the technical knowledge needed to contribute good
translations to Avaneya.

I understand where you are coming from and there is not much that we
disagree on. The only thing you need to realize is that I'm quite under
staffed right now and have a long check list of dozens of things to
solve before I can make the first public release. If it had been within
my means to make translations easier, I would have done that.
Translations are very important, French in particular for my fellow
French speaking citizens here in Canada or abroad.

As a developer who also manage some projects alone, I fully understand your situation :-) But it's important to agree on what should be done. For example, next time you add a translatable string in Avaneya, don't forget to add a context comment at the same time ;-)

Do you have a deadline upon when the translation should be finished?

Cheers,
Nicolas

[1] https://translations.launchpad.net/avaneya/trunk/+pots/vlr/fr/5/+translate [2] https://translations.launchpad.net/avaneya/trunk/+pots/vlr/fr/6/+translate