lp-l10n-fr-community team mailing list archive

Re: French translation

On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 10:25 +0200, Nicolas Delvaux wrote:
> Hi,

Hey Nicolas.

> Indeed, but it's better than nothing :-)
> And even if this is not machine readable, it can provide a bit of
> context by itself (for example if a string comes from a file named
> "credit.c" or settings.c"...)

The problem is that, as far as I know, xgettext can either extract the
last preceding comment, or the file and line number, but not both. If
you figure out how to get it to do both, I already wanted to do that.

> I'm referring to [1] and [2].
> I asked you about the meaning of "Studio Hardware" and you explained
> that this is basically a header for a software credit field.
> Which seems confusing to me, because I imagine this definition would
> rather fit the "Studio Software" string, wouldn't it?

"Studio Software" is the title of the list of notable libre software
used in the creation of the software. "Studio Hardware" is the title of
the list of notable libre hardware used in the creation of the software.

> If VLR is used to restore these data (are they freely available?), it's
> only useful once isn't it?

Like a movie, I suppose it's useful mainly once. The mission data is in
the public domain, but quite convoluted to acquire from NASA. The DVD
takes care of the convenience factor. In the event that the software is
improved to recover more of the mission data, the entire original
archive is on the disc so they don't need to download all 14 GB again.

> So, in this case, is it really necessary to localize it?
> (will anyone want to use it once the restoration is over?)

The images it recovers don't need localization, but the software strings
in the user interface do since for many people English is not their
first language, if it's one at all.

> Do you have a deadline upon when the translation should be finished?

It would be great if we could wrap up the French translation in the next
few days =)

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred