Re: Lubuntu application discussion for maverick

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Glenn <glenn_de_groot@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I noticed LXmusic is in the Ubuntu lucid repo´s, I installed it on my
> Ubuntu lucid desktop and after choosing an output plugin (default is
> none for some reason) in the settings menu it nicely played my mp3´s and
> possibly also other files.
> Will the next Lubuntu (Maverick) use LXmusic instead of Aqualung (which
> uses a lot more dependencies) and possibly other applications like
> LXtask instead of Xfce-taskmanager as default?
> Also we should take a look at Parole, a XFCE media player, since it has
> 25 dependencies and Mplayer has 49.
> The PPA is here:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~stemp/+archive/xfce
>
> It plays ogv, wmv and probably many other files without a problem.
> Most of the dependencies of Parole will already be used in Xfburn I think.

I'm the original developer of LXMusic and now Juergen maintains it.
Aqualung is suggested by me in the beginning, too. Aqualung is one of
the "full-featured", "desktop independent" players which is still
actively maintained and it actually uses less resouce than lxmusic +
xmms2. So I use it myself. Recently, we found more good gtk+ only
lightweight players such as DeadBeef or Pragha. They are better than
LXMusic IMHO. LXMusic has the most minimalistic UI, and the one
provided by DeadBeef is very similar to that provided by LXMusic. So
please give DeadBeef a try. LXMusic is not able to handle drag & drop
within the playlist and it has performance problem loading large
playlist due to the design flaws of xmms2.

> Also what about replacing Chromium by Epiphany?
> Epiphany has only about 7 dependencies more but it is much more
> lightweight and I read on the Dutch Ubuntu forums it uses about 30 to 40
> mb less on an old pc with Lubuntu installed.
> This really can make the difference between slow and fast on an old
> computer. It probably will be a big project but what about the
> LXDE/Lubuntu team forking Epiphany and creating something like LXbrowser
> to avoid any gnome dependencies?
This is meanless and can create unnecessary maintainance load. In the
end you'll get nothing but more bugs.
Browser is one of the biggest security hole in our desktop system. So
the good criteria to choose a browsers are:
1. Have a large professional team to maintain
2. Actively developed and frequently updated
3. Bugs can be fixed in short time, especially the security-related bugs.
4. Have large enough user base to discover potential problems and
security issues
5. Guarantee the compatibility with existing and future standards
6. Well supported by third-party tools and websites
So, that's clearly why the only reasonable choices are Firefox and
Chroimium/Google Chrome.
Epiphany and Midori are good for personal use at home, but they won't
be robust enough and their future are uncertain due to lack of
developers. So, I'll never suggest using them for a serious mainstream
distro.