Re: 64-bit install?

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 04:04:49 +0100, Bob Trevithick <bob.trevithick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 10:51 PM, PCMan <pcman.tw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

3. If a program runs well in 32-bit OS, but fail to run in 64-bit one,
this is not an architecture problem. It's a bug. Please report it
instead of complain of 64-bit.

One example I found when playing with the Mini CD 64-bit install is
that NetworkManager Applet 0.8 doesn't work correctly in 64-bit.  The
eth0 connection itself works, but the applet reports there are no
network connections at all.  It also doesn't display it's icon in the
panel, although right-clicking on the space where it should be shows
it's actually there.

I'm guessing this is the sort of thing you're referring to, and which
should be reported as a bug?

Probably not, as this problem occurs with the 32 bit system as well. I had this problem on one system which disappeared after an upgrade at some point. However, the upgrade caused another system to start displaying the problem.

As for the 32/64 bit argument, I think a compromise is needed. I propose a 48bit system:P

--
Steve (Yorvyk)
http://lubuntu.net

PS. I think the sun might be getting to me :)