Fwd: Boot problems with latest kernels

Whoops.  I accidentally just replied to Goh instead of to the list.
Sorry.  -Bob

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bob Trevithick <bob.trevithick@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 7:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Boot problems with latest kernels
To: Goh Lip <g.lip@xxxxxxx>

Hi Goh,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try purging VLC and see what
happens.  At the moment, I have 2.6.35-2-generic installed, and
Synaptic lists this kernel as "Local or Obsolete" but doesn't offer me
the newer kernels with either an upgrade or a dist-upgrade.  Maybe
that will change when VLC is removed.  As I recall, it wasn't during
installation of the kernels that VLC was removed.  In fact, if it's of
any interest, here's the log of the update during which it removed
VLC:

Commit Log for Thu Jun 17 08:38:55 2010

Removed the following packages:
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
libavformat52
libmjpegtools-1.9
libpostproc51
libquicktime1
libswscale0
mozilla-plugin-vlc
vlc
vlc-nox

Upgraded the following packages:
gtk2-engines-pixbuf (2.21.2-0ubuntu2) to 2.21.2-0ubuntu3
libavcodec-extra-52 (4:0.6~svn20100505-1ubuntu5) to 4:0.6-1ubuntu1
libavutil-extra-50 (4:0.6~svn20100505-1ubuntu5) to 4:0.6-1ubuntu1
libgail18 (2.21.2-0ubuntu2) to 2.21.2-0ubuntu3
libgtk2.0-0 (2.21.2-0ubuntu2) to 2.21.2-0ubuntu3
libgtk2.0-bin (2.21.2-0ubuntu2) to 2.21.2-0ubuntu3
libgtk2.0-common (2.21.2-0ubuntu2) to 2.21.2-0ubuntu3
libsane (1.0.20-13ubuntu2) to 1.0.21-2ubuntu1

Installed the following packages:
libva1 (1.0.1-3)
libvpx0 (0.9.0-6)

Thanks again!