Re: Boot problems with latest kernels

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 04:53:18 +0800, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:45:34 -0400
Bob Trevithick <bob.trevithick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hmm.  That thread, which I had read yesterday, said that the problem
was with 0.96.1ubuntu3, and that the fixed version is 0.96.1ubuntu4
which is the one I now have installed.  The thread also notes that
this only applies to the AMD64 version, which I'm *not* using.

Ah! I saw the AMD CPU and assumed thatwas the problem. Didn’t realise it only affedted the 64 bit version.

I have all the latest updates, unless I should have "proposed" enabled.

There won’t be anything in the proposed repository untill Maverick is released.

Just to be clear, your suggestion would be to start over with a clean
installation of the alpha-1 Lubuntu?

No, what I suggest is that you remove the 2.6.35-4 and 2.6.35-3 kernel-images then do an upgrade or maybe a dist-upgrade.

Sorry to be a nuisance about this.  Just trying to help out. :)

Regards,
Bob

Bob, not sure if this helps, but from my experience with (Kubuntu) alphas,
some packages are disabled upon installation. This is probably due to
clash of dependencies. After installation, reinstallation of the said
packages *might* proceed and encounter no other problem. However, in most
cases the reinstalled media player will not play smoothly. In my case,
Kaffeine will 'play nice' only at final release, not even at beta stages.

So, in your case, it might help if you remove, preferably purge vlc and
see if the new kernels are booted okay. Then reinstall vlc and see if that
works.

Again, there is this usual warning that pre-final releases are not meant
for 'production', likely to break and is mainly for people to help debug
and report issues.

Also, I am treating Lubuntu in its original intent, namely, as a lean and
mean system, so I did not install other 'weighty' packages to it. I have
also found another pleasant unintended use of Lubuntu on the usb stick.
With gparted and testdisk installed, it makes a much better alternative to
troubleshooting and repairing systems than carrying cd's of grub-rescue,
gparted, livecd and so on. Impressive...

Good luck, Bob.
Regards - Goh Lip