Re: WARNING: X-server breakage coming soon to a computer near you

On Friday 13,August,2010 12:54 AM, Lane Lester wrote:
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:07 PM, Goh Lip <g.lip@xxxxxxx
<mailto:g.lip@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I think, but I am not quite sure, startx for lxde is "startlxde"

Well, I didn't get a chance to find out.

I did another apt-get update/upgrade, like I did yesterday, and this
time I also ran:
aptitude remove nvidia-current (after installing aptitude)
It removed 80-something files, including openoffice, linux-headers,
fonts, etc. I thought I was going to end up with a dead install.

But no, the normal boot went normally! I'm composing this email in Lubuntu.

With no /etc/X11/xorg.conf, I don't know what driver is working. Is
there a way to tell?

I don't play any games, so I don't know if there's an advantage to my
running nvidia-current or not.

Lane

Glad you have your Lubuntu back. That was a neat trick (remove nvidia-current) and may I refer your method to some guys at ubuntu having the same problem, (gpl v2 licence ? :) )

Curiously, I don't have this problem with Kubuntu Maverick, maybe the 64 bit xserver was sorted okay. There is a launchpad bug report on this.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/616023

And no, I don't know how we can check what driver you are using, with no xorg.conf; maybe others on the list can help.

Regards and take care - Goh Lip