Re: Work items and TODOs (LXDE)

Your work is highly appreciated, really!
Last week I reworked the tab browsing part of pcmanfm again to
circumvent a limitation of GtkNotebook.
In addition, I did some refactor for the side pane and added directory
tree to it.
Now after some more testing and addition of some menu items and config
values for it, I can push them to online repo.
After this one is finished, I'll try to find some time to fix other
bugs in the file manager.
As for other lx-* stuff, I currently don't have enough time to fix
them. Really glad that you can help.

Currently my *plans* for the lx* tools are as follows (These are just
my personal ideas. The issues are open to discussion):

1. lxpanel: We have no maintainer for this one. This works ok most of
the time, but I personally think a cleaner rewrite can be better.
Another possible option will be using libwnck to handle some tasks so
we can have less mysterious X11-related code and less seg faults of
unknown causes.

2. gpicview: The coding did in last GSoC session failed to provide
production quality stuff. Previously I want to fix that, but now due
to lack of time, I'm not able to do it. Another option may be using
Viewnior instead if nobody has the time to maintain gpicview.

3. lxterminal: currently we have no maintainer for it. Previously a
friend on our mailing list is willing to take over it. So maybe we'll
have a new maintainer later. Another option can be using Roxterm
instead.

4. lxsession: A dbus session management interface is needed. Maybe we
need to rework this one. Besides, command line used to lock the screen
should be handled.

5. lxsession-edit: I want to merge this one with lxsession for better
maintainence and adding the ability to configure lxsession autostart
file in GUI, not only xdg autostart spec. So people don't need to edit
autostart file themselves. Unwanted autostart apps commands can be
commented out with # in the config file.

6. lxlauncher: in git repo there is a version supporting background
image handling, but it's less well-tested and was not yet released. I
don't have time for it, but someone who wants to use it in netbook may
want to take a look at it.

7. lxrandr: I'm not sure what's the best way to handle config saving.
Previously I want to save it in lxsession config files so we can have
a more common place for most config values for easier maintaince.
However putting this into autostart desktop file is as good.

8. lxinput: currently I have no plan for it. Supporting synaptic
devies can be good, but I don't know how to do it. I know that ubuntu
did some patches for gnome to make this work. Maybe we can do the
same?

9. lxshortcut: This can be a library rather than binary program so
including desktop file editing in other programs can be easier by
calling the library.

10. openbox: this is not our software, but personally I always want to
do a simple config tool to config keyboard shortcuts for openbox. This
is what's lacking for quite a long time. Previously a friend did one
with pygtk on the mailing list. We need to find it out. A version
written in C with a nice GUI will be even better. Another problem of
openbox is the lack of ability to use Win key alone as a shortcut. I
read the source code of openbox previously but did not find a way to
patch it. Maybe another solution is needed? xbindkeys is a good tool,
but this clashes with openbox keyboard shortcut sometimes and requires
additonal programs. Any ideas?

11. The file manager: fix most of the known bugs after directory tree
and button-style path bar are added. Then, make a new release. Later
I'll do loadable module support and try to add a dbus interface for
other programs to call the file manager.

These are my current plans. Any suggestions are appreciated.