Fwd: LXDE shutown dependency/permissions?

Sorry, meant to include the mailing list in my reply as well - forwarded on
for continuity.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jared Norris <jrnorris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 6 June 2011 20:21
Subject: Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] LXDE shutown dependency/permissions?
To: Eric <rvwbug@xxxxxxxxx>

On 6 June 2011 11:47, Eric <rvwbug@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings folks,
>
> Although I am running a minimal install of Ubuntu 11.04 with LXDE, I
> hope someone may help.
>
> Normally running Debian I add user to powerdev group for "shutdown" and
> "restart" options to appear in the shutdown menu.  This group however
> does not exist.  I'm not sure if I am missing a dependency, or if a
> different group or modification will give my user these options.
>
> I must add the even logging to LXDE using 'startx' with user 'root',
> these options are not displayed.  Only 'Logout' and 'Cancel' are
> displayed on the shutdown menu.
>
> The reason I did not install Lubuntu right off, is due to 512MB hard
> drive space on my WebDT366 LX800.  A larger drive will be near what I
> paid for the device ~ $80 US.
>
> Thanks for taking the time,
>
> Cheers,
>

> Eric

Gday Eric,

It's head_victim from IRC, soon after you left one of our very knowledgeable
developers popped into the room and read the scroll back.

I take no credit for the answer but just wanted to pass on the information
apparently the issue with the missing shutdown and reboot buttons has been
traced to starting X using the "startx" command rather than the correct
"startlubuntu" command. Apparently this means you were running a default
LXDE theme not actually Lubuntu.

Thanks jmarsden for the information and I'm sure if you have more questions
he'd be happy to answer them (they watch the mailing list here)

Regards,

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris