Re: [Lxde-i18n] Call for review: PCManFM is almost ready for a new release.

On 2011-06-13 14:27, Julien Lavergne wrote:
> Le Monday 13 June 2011 à 19:17 +0800, PCMan a écrit :
>>> - Please bump the soname of your library each time you change your API.
>>> Distributions can do smooth transitions between versions of
>>> libfm/pcmanfm. Also, if you expect other applications to use libfm, you
>>> need to use the soname.
>> I want to do this for stable tarball releases only. In current stage
>> of development, change of API/ABIs can be frequent.
> Ok, but technically, it's used as a "stable" application on, at least,
> Debian and Ubuntu (and probably many other distributions).
>
> So, what is missing for having a stable release of pcmanfm ? Any major
> features are still missing ?

As far as I see it the current git HEAD is not /released/. When that
happens a git tag will be produced and a tar ball distributed to sf.net
project pages. Until then pcman do not want to bump things as they might
change numerous times before the release is done. Using git HEAD as
source for a package in a distribution is not what pcman wants (and I
support this way).

>>> - Don't hesitate to do releases often, it's better for distributions :)
>>> Even if bugs are discovered shortly after the release, you can still do
>>> a quick X.X.1 release to fix this.
>>>
>> Given the program is now used by so many users, it's better to have
>> releases with better quality.
>>
> But it's better than no release at all, especially for application still
> in development. Last official release is 2010-10-14 (according to
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcmanfm/files/ ), more than six months
> ago.

I think the "old" saying "release early, release often" is key and
important. I do think we should aim for qualty too ofc but with frequent
updates it will be there and it will draw even more attention to the
product imho. I am with gilir on this one.
It also ties together with my notion of not using git HEAD to base
packages in distributions on, if there are frequent releases it is more
likely the distributions will use $LATEST_TAG rather than giot HEAD.
If needed be I am willing to set up a development model with branches
for this, this is what I do for a living anyhow (I don't think we do
need that though).

- --
brother
http://sis.bthstudent.se