Re: Killing glade and gconf -- are there general guidelines or a blueprint?

GtkBuilder should be the replacement for libglade.
Glade 3 can output GtkBuilder format ui files.
However, not all features provided by libglade are supported by GtkBuilder.
In addition, the two formats are not compatible.
Code used to load the ui xml files need to be re-written, too.
Besides, GtkBuilder file requires some special handling of POTFILES.in.
Migrating from glade to gtkbuilder, though possible, is a little bit
painful when there are many glade files.
Here is a guide teaching people how to do the migration.
http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/2.24/gtk-migrating-GtkBuilder.html

There is a script called gtkbuilder-convert, which can convert glade xml
files to gtkbuilder format.
Unfortunately, the ui files it generated cannot be loaded by glade 3
sometimes and you have to maintain the ui xml files by hand.
If you need to write xml ui definition files by hand and cannot use a GUI
designer, it totally defeats the purpose of using ui definition files.
I'd suggest that people who want to help the migration read this guide
first.