Strange behavior with Chromium

OK, this is a long shot...

I recently installed Lubuntu 11.10 (64bit) on my Acer AS3820 (with an I3
processor and 4GB ram.)  The browser is choking on Gmail for some reason.
It looses it's connection and then won't reconnect or if it does, it beaks
the connection again.  Other sites continue to function and I have no
problem accessing Gmail from another computer, tablet, phone or even
Firefox on the same laptop.  It happens on my home network (wireless) and
at work (wired).

I'm not sure what to make of this.  Any ideas?

Tim

Follow ups