From: amjjawad HOOHAA <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Lubuntu-desktop] Sun/Oracle Java
To: "lubuntu-desktop" <lubuntu-desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, December 4, 2011, 5:31 PM

I do agree with all what have been said/written.

With all the honesty in the world, I don't like the Wiki Pages.
Why?

1- I've been told it MUST be the main source of our information while there are LOTS of missing information already, NOT to mention it is not organized nor up to date.

2- One can't find what he/she is looking for easily.

3- The whole structure is bad IMHO.

4- When I tried to contribute to the Wiki Area, I have heard NOTHING but bad negative and rude attitude so I decided NOT to touch it any more and take care of Ubuntu Forum as that is where I belong.

5- There is NO dedicated team to maintain our Wiki

Perhaps these are the main reasons.

Again, to be honest, I have another thoughts and different approaches and I'm having hard time to explain myself over and over again. Thus, I have decided weeks ago to remain silent and do my job quietly.

I'm doing well on the forum and I'll keep it up, period.
I have so much plans to help Lubuntu Users on the Froum. Writing guides and more.

I couldn't remain silent anymore.

I can't deny I do have my own style that is different big time than everyone's style in this team but since this is a Team Work more than anything else, I'm trying my best to learn more about this team, even more than learning about Lubuntu which I breath daily.

I'm here as always and ready to help and take our Wiki to the next step but WE do need to talk and discuss, period.

:)

Excuse my approach, I just couldn't resist.

>>> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/things-to-tweak-after-installing-ubuntu.html

>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/FAQ/Guides#Some_Java_applications_don.27t_work.2C_I_want_proprietary_Oracle_Java

>> This is the very big problem I see with having a separate FAQ to the

>> main information on the wiki. Unless it's specific to Lubuntu I really

>> don't see why it should exist on our FAQ area at all. All this does is

>> duplicate information AND reduce the number of people working on a

>> topic. This is a perfect example because the proper Java page [0] was

>> updated a while ago to reflect the changes.

>> So my opinion is, unless it's specific to Lubuntu we should contribute

>> and rely on the community documentation for *Ubuntu instead of trying

>> to carve out our own little niche that will easily be out of date and

>> hard to maintain with fewer resources. (To answer your question my

>> suggestion would be to remove the java section altogether, if you HAVE

>> to have something, link to the main page for Java).

>> [0] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

> Couldn't agree more Jared.  Repeating the same information over and over in different places is not helpful.  Users who aren't quite sure what their problem is end up 'not seeing the wood for the trees.'  This is the sort of thing a decent index is helps with.

to me, this begs the question of why we have a FAQ at all. there's no

reason there shouldn't be an LXDE-specific section to the general

"Ubuntu" wiki as it is relevant to LXDE. how many people have you come

across that run LXDE in Ubuntu rather than doing Lubuntu? it's often a

gateway to officially making the switch.

my problem with the "main" wiki is that it is often so GNOME-centric,

it's not always apparent whether or not something is truly applicable to

Lubuntu. so if we updated it for Lubuntu, there would be ONE place to go.

always the revolutionary,

wxl/walter

Best Regards,

amjjawad
Lubuntu One Stop Thread (Mega Thread)

My Wiki Page | My Launchpad | My Ubuntu Forum Profile

My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words ||  I walk by faith, not by sight || Imagination is more important than Knowledge || Keep It Simple and Short