Re: LSC and Dependencies Talk

> ACTION WIKI: find a page on the wiki about installing software not aimed
> at a certain DE. E.g. installing ktouch inside Lubuntu, hopefully with
> system impact. If that page doesn't exists create one. Please reply if
> there isn't a page on the wiki before creating a new page. This is to keep
> me up-to-date.

Honestly, I did not search yet but I have made this guide few months ago
and I think it will be handy and helpful in case there is no page on the
Wiki.

Sorry, forgot to mention that earlier :)

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Chris <cyber.druif@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> interface for installing software, it boots a lot faster. Secondly is
> Synaptic not the most intuitive way to install software. Showing a lot of
> technical (libs etc) between some of the packages you might want to
> install, LSC solves this by only showing the packages one would want to
> install and with a preview readily available. So it's not a means to only
> show packages "designed" for Lubuntu afaik.
>
> Thirdly this is a mainly a discussion in how LSC *could* or *should*
> preform, not about the wiki. When you guys have made a decision on what
> should be put on the wiki, please cc the wiki list. I could have the wiki
> group make a page about installing software in Lubuntu, referring to
> packages that depend on libs not included by default and what the impact
> could be, but their might already be a page about that on the "main" wiki
> which we could refer to.
>
> ACTION WIKI: find a page on the wiki about installing software not aimed
> at a certain DE. E.g. installing ktouch inside Lubuntu, hopefully with
> system impact. If that page doesn't exists create one. Please reply if
> there isn't a page on the wiki before creating a new page. This is to keep
> me up-to-date.
>
> With metta, Chris
>
> P.S.: Ali, you used the "old" lubuntu list, which will be deprecated
> shortly. I've cc'd the new list.
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:36, PCMan <pcman.tw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM, amjjawad HOOHAA <amjjawad@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Before I reply to this post:
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11613963&postcount=252
>>> I thought it's better to start such a discussion over here so that I
>>> understand better and we make it clear to everyone what is really going on.
>>>
>>> As far as I have learned so far and I could be wrong, the Dependencies
>>> Talk on a Low Resources System where usually Lubuntu is installed, is more
>>> about Space Issue than Loaded Files on RAM issue.
>>> I don't have a document or something that confirm that but I do know for
>>> sure that as long as nothing will be loaded in RAM, the performance won't
>>> be affected.
>>>
>>> I've come across MANY questions from users like: "This app has lots of
>>> dependencies, can I install it on Lubuntu? will that slow my system down??"
>>>
>>> For me, I can easily reply that post saying: "It's more about space
>>> issues than memory consuming issue + if you want, you can use the terminal
>>> for Synaptic."
>>>

>> This is not necessarily true. Almost always, we add dependencies because
>> the program needs them at "runtime".
>> Most of time, these deps, especially the libraries, will be loaded at
>> runtime as well.
>> The most important issue is how much RAM is needed by programs constantly
>> running throughout the whole desktop session.
>> (web browser, panel, file manager, desktop manager, session manager,

Best Regards,

*amjjawad*
Lubuntu One Stop Thread (Mega
Thread)<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1844755>
My Wiki Page <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad> | My
Launchpad<https://launchpad.net/%7Eamjjawad> |
My Ubuntu Forum Profile <http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=941822>

*My Actions Speak Louder Than My Words ||** ** I walk by faith, not by
sight **|| Imagination is more important than Knowledge || **Keep It Simple
and Short*