lubuntu-irc-ops team mailing list archive

Re: Ubuntu IRC Council

On 11 October 2011 08:02, Julien Lavergne <gilir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Phill,
>
> I read quickly the IRC meeting, I'll try to summarize to see if I understand
> right :
> - #lubuntu aims to become a core chan, like any other official chan.
> - This move requires that all ops (operators with rights to ban etc ...) on
> #lubuntu move to core IRC team, which mean they have also rights on other
> chans
> - Some IRC members disagree because no ops of Lubuntu chan passed by the
> official process to become core ops.

That was the gist of it, I was actually present for the meeting, not
because of good planning but I just happened to be around at the time
and lurking in the channel.

> Well, I understand their point of view. If we want #lubuntu to be like
> others official chans, we need to follow the process. I'm agree that the
> manner is not very nice, and it's weird that people can't only have rights
> to some specific chans.

Again, seemed spot on from what I understand. I to don't understand
the inability to split things up but I guess it does make it easier to
cover temporary holes in coverage by moving operators around as
required. I also know the Ubuntu IRC team have been doing it a lot
longer than we have so I'm sure they have reasons we can't even think
of that make this useful (I haven't actually asked, has anyone else
asked for reasons for this approach?).

> However, I'll let people who work on IRC made the decision. If you are not
> comfortable to work with IRC council, can we stay just like we are now ?
> If some of you are OK to start the process and work with them, I'll be glad
> to add my support to them. It will be a step in their direction, so they
> can't argue that we are all against them.
>
> Regards,
> Julien Lavergne

I personally think this is a case of slight give and take required to
merge with the official teams. I personally wouldn't mind having to
apply for operator status. The only issue I can see is that there has
already been discussion on if people would be approved before
applications had been sought. To me, that part is regrettable but for
the rest of it, lets get started on the process. It's not going to be
completed by day 1 of 11.10 release but the sooner it starts the
sooner it ends and yet another milestone towards gaining official
status is ticked off.

Regards,

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris