Re: Sleep key & Close lid do not work - 12.04 Lubuntu ppc

On 02/22/2012 05:35 AM, o jordan wrote:
> MintPPC adds pmu-battery and i2c-dev to everyone's /etc/modules file
> (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11572808&postcount=6
> <http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11572808&postcount=6> ); which
> is a rubbish solution - a bodge - because there are lots of computers
> that don't need these modules.  What should happen is the package
> hw-detect should identify these modules are needed.  It's
> actually probably quite easy to come up with a patch for the
> discover-mac-io.sh file (he says not having looked into it), but
> without the hardware to try stuff out on then it's hard to do.  People
> who have this hardware will have to come up with the proper patch i.e.
> you.
>
> The PowerPC FAQ has instructions to add these modules to /etc/modules
> and as long as people spend the time to read the FAQ then I don't see
> it as a massive problem.  I add pmu_battery to get my battery working;
> it takes at the most 10 seconds of my life which is considerably
> shorter than investigating a patch for hw-detect.  I'm not dismissing
> this as a problem I'm just saying it is way down on the list of my
> priorities for my life (and since I don't use i2c-dev I cannot come up
> with a patch for that).
>
> It's probably quite a nice little project for somebody to take on if
> they are looking to get into linux development.  4 lines of code
> should do it.
thanks for sharing but in order for this to be truly useful (especially
to someone like UH who claims over and over again he is no developer)
you'd need to explain how to write such a patch. what would those four
lines be?

furthermore qemu can emulate ppc so you don't have to have the hardware.
we could use some more testers that know what they're doing ;)

wxl