From: Jim Price <d1version@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lubuntu-qa <lubuntu-qa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Mar 5, 2012 1:54 pm
Subject: Re: [Lubuntu-qa] Mac G3 testing - desktop .iso

Hi Paul,

I'm new here (this is my first post) and mainly got interested because
Phill posted on the Ubuntu-UK list that there is a bug in Lubuntu which
needs confirming by another Mac G3 user. I'm just installing the beta on
my iMac now, so can you point me to the bug in question so I can see if
I can confirm it.

JimP

On 05/03/12 16:57, Paul Gorski wrote:
>   Phill,
>
> Again on the iMac G3, this has been a known problem for a while.
> If folks know its xorg.conf, why can't that simply be fixed?
> And the problem I'm having now is that Ctrl-option-F1 isn't bringing up a
command prompt, so I can't edit the xorg.conf file on the fly with the desktop
.iso.

> See:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues#A8.04_PowerPC_LiveCd_will_not_boot_on_iBookG4
>
> And the instructions below (from that link) don't always, but generally do,
get things up an running.

> Blank screen on iMac G3
> Do you get a blank screen after booting? The problem is that xorg.conf is not
set up properly for the iMac G3.
> Follow these steps to fix xorg.conf:
> After booting is complete:
>
> Type: ctrl-option-F1 (should give you a command prompt, may take a couple of
tries)

> Type: sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (return)
>
> In the Monitor section, change "HorizSync" to 58-62 and "VertRefresh" to
75-117.

> Disable DRI. In the Module section, put a hash mark (#) at the beginning of
the line containing "load dri". If you have no Module section, make one like
this:
> Section "Module"
>     Disable "glx"
>     Disable "dri"
> EndSection
>
> Type: ctrl-O (return) to write edited file
>
> Type: ctrl-X to exit nano back to command line
>
> Type: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart (return) to restart Gnome. (In Dapper and
Edgy, the restart command is broken. Use sudo killall -HUP gdm instead.)