Mac G3 testing - desktop .iso

 Phill,

Again on the iMac G3, this has been a known problem for a while.
If folks know its xorg.conf, why can't that simply be fixed?
And the problem I'm having now is that Ctrl-option-F1 isn't bringing up a command prompt, so I can't edit the xorg.conf file on the fly with the desktop .iso.

See:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues#A8.04_PowerPC_LiveCd_will_not_boot_on_iBookG4

And the instructions below (from that link) don't always, but generally do, get things up an running.

Blank screen on iMac G3
Do you get a blank screen after booting? The problem is that xorg.conf is not set up properly for the iMac G3.
Follow these steps to fix xorg.conf:
After booting is complete:

Type: ctrl-option-F1 (should give you a command prompt, may take a couple of tries)

Type: sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (return)

In the Monitor section, change "HorizSync" to 58-62 and "VertRefresh" to 75-117.

Disable DRI. In the Module section, put a hash mark (#) at the beginning of the line containing "load dri". If you have no Module section, make one like this:
Section "Module"
   Disable "glx"
   Disable "dri"
EndSection

Type: ctrl-O (return) to write edited file

Type: ctrl-X to exit nano back to command line

Type: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart (return) to restart Gnome. (In Dapper and Edgy, the restart command is broken. Use sudo killall -HUP gdm instead.)

For longer instructions, also see forum thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=405934

Sincerely,
Paul Gorski