Re: Fwd: [RFC] Drop Non-smp PowerPC Kernel Flavor

If understand this situation, the SMP kernel will run on the older computers, but might run a little slower. For Lubuntu that might be OK, but Ubuntu already runs slowly on G3s and G4s, not sure about G5s. Heck, Ubuntu runs slowly on my Intel-based Macs.

At least in the Macintosh world, PowerPC multi core computers are the minority. (So a minority of a minority.)
And most of the Mac PPC dual or more cores were G5 Mac Pros, which were prone to power supply failures or processor failure, because the higher-end processors were liquid cooled, and that liquid cooling system didn't work so well. So many have gone to the IT junk yard. But many of the ones still around are 64-bit (some are single-core/processor 64-bit though.)

G3 iMacs on the other hand were manufactured for five years, and folks keep them around because they're "cute." And there are many G4 desktops and laptops still running MacOS X 10.4 and 10.5, justing waiting for Lubuntu 12.04 with a current version of Firefox. (Which X 10.5 can't offer.)

A "perky" PPC Lubuntu will help extend the life of G3 and G4 PowerPC Macs, that's why I'm here, that's what I'm testing.
I'm not excited about a PowerPC  kernel that would run more slowly on single processor G3, G4, and G5's, but I'd rather have that than no PowerPC Lubuntu at all. And I'm sorry to hear about PPC Xubuntu. I like that interface most of all.

Here's a time-line chart of Macintosh models if it helps. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Macintosh_models

If I get a vote, I'd keep:

1) non-smp
2) smp-64